Monday 11 April 2011

The Konjac Sponge Company and the wonderful Konjac Sponge


There is something round and squishy sweeping the beauty industry and it's called the konjac sponge. At the Natural Products trade show I had the pleasure of meeting the lady behind the Konjac Sponge Company who has introduced the konjac sponge to the UK market. Lovely to meet you Michele! And I'm trialling the French clay konjac sponge for normal to oily skin.

I have a list as long as my arm of posts I have to write but I have allowed this one to jump the queue because I'm all excited about it and I want to share it with you whilst the buzz is still buzzing!

The konjac sponge has already impressed in Japan, China, Korea and the USA and it's set to do the same here. If you are into your cloth+cleanser routine, where you remove your cleanser and make up etc with a lovely warm muslin cloth then listen up. Incidentally, if you're not of that school of cleansing and you like a classic face wash, then this is equally for you too! In fact, everyone, gather round, this is good...

Here's the happy little fella.

See, the konjac sponge is essentially a sponge that cleanses and lightly exfoliates your skin, also leaving it feeling moisturised. All by itself! It's a very simple, very peculiar object, enticing, squishy, friendly and so easy to use. It's also extremely gentle. And this is really what sets it apart from other cleansing apparatus (!) ...I can't stress this enough. If you have easily upset skin, if using flannels or muslin cloths leaves any redness behind or exfoliation dries out your skin, good god you're going to love this.

Originally intended for babies, the texture of this sponge is like no other, it absorbs a ridiculous amount of water and really holds onto it, but when you prod it, it leaves no actual wetness behind, it's like magic. It leaves skin feeling refreshed, very, very smooth and comfortable. Again, if normal washing of your face makes skin feel tight, give this a go.

The konjac sponge is made from 100% natural konjac plant fibres. Amorphophallus Konjac or the konjac potato grows wildly across Asia and is eaten in Japan, where it is called Konnyaku. Interestingly it is also used in making vegan gelatin.

How it benefits the skin comes down to its pH balancing effect (which also helps cleanse away oil and dirt) as well as its actual texture. Massaging the skin increases blood flow and improves circulation and the soft texture prevents damage to the protective barrier layer, keeping your skin happy.

My favourite way to use it is in the morning, when I don't feel like I need a full cleanse (no make up to remove) but still want to freshen and awaken my skin. I don't know why I find it so fun to use, but I do! It's just so squishy (the word to describe it) and soft in a jelly kind of way! And it occurs to me this is also perfect for those reluctant males, as it's a very quick and fuss-free way of cleansing without the need for extra products, (you can use it in place of or as well as your usual cleanser.) I still need to chase the very reluctant Mr. BEskincareful around the house with a palm full of moisturiser, but it's definitely a good start! 

The Konjac Sponge Company have also included in the range charcoal and mineral rich french clays, which all act differently to further support different skin types. The charcoal blend is especially helpful in balancing oily or blemish prone skin, as is the green clay sponge for more normal to oily skin. There is also red and pink clay blends which help soothe and nourish dry, sensitive or mature skins. So there really is something for everyone here.

And just to reiterate, this is 100% natural, with no colourings, no additives, it's sustainable, bio-degradable (they need replacing every three months or so) and made from natural konjac grown at high altitude free from pollutants. Can you sense my excitement?!

The Original Konjac sponge is £5.25, Charcoal £5.75, French Clays £5.75 
Available from the Konjac Sponge Company 
(I have seen them retail at over twice this price so beware!)

P.S. I'd love to hear from you if you've given it a go too! Feel free to comment

2 comments:

  1. The thing that puts me off is the price... then I think about the simple wipes I've used in the past that cost a little under, and last for no where near three months! I'm interested to know, did you carry on using them after this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a bloomin' good point! I have to say I find make up wipes such a faux-cleanliness. I used to use simple wipes beofre I turned to natural products as I thought they were a brand that had that kind of thing covered! LITTLE DID I KNOW!!

      Anyway -your question! - Actually I haven't used one since! But I absolutely would. I'm just incredibly distracted but other products etc and got a little addicted to a hot cloth cleanse. I would definitely get another as I do think they are lovely and fresh in the morning when you might not want to do a full face cleanse...

      Thanks for reading :-)

      Delete